The ‘C’ for Saturday is CONTROL
This is a MASSIVELY important thing to consider, as it impacts of so much of our lives and thinking.
Are we really in Control – do we want to be?
- What about ‘luck’, chance, predestination, God, freewill, and mathematical randomness – where and how do they fit in?
- What about the responsibilities I have? If I have children or a job that involves 100s of other people’s lives – how do those responsibilities ‘dictate’ my life?
- Or maybe it is believing that I CAN be in control (or that I actually am in some way) that really matters?
- Needless to say, what YOU think matters – or should that read: What you THINK matters?! Of course it does.
- When I feel such a small cog in such a big wheel, am I just deluding myself when I want to be in control – or it it wiser to give up – and how would that affect my life?
- By the end of Saturday it will be nice to have some fresh perspectives (or whatever) that we can use to calm, reassure and inspire us.
There will, of course, be the gentle atmosphere of Bethany Cottage, the laughter, chatter, good food, and good company of the others in the group. If you’ve never been to one of these days and would like to join us on one in the future, let me know – or sign up on the front page of Powerchange.com (right hand column!) and we’ll keep you in touch.
And while we are on the subject, what about people who want to control US? And how do we get back into control of things that have now taken us over – or are ‘beyond our control’? How do we control other people? Discipline? Punishment? Rules and Laws? Prison? And then there is SELF-control. Do any of us have it?
And what about those of us who are born nonconformist? 😉
Maybe the need or desire to be in control is overrated, or control is a delusion and we can just give up and ‘go home’? Then what?
Well, I suspect that people WILL ‘go home’ at the end of the day (we’ve only so many beds!) but with some clearer thoughts, some peace of mind, and a more mature view of what Control might be about. Three ‘Top Truths’ about Control that can guide us, perhaps. Might be particularly useful in this pretty foundation-less and insecure world.
You could send me a quick comment on a time when you felt very out of control – and how you got BACK into control again. Or didn’t.